Global Water Crisis
Today, you’ll use water countless times—to drink, cook, shower, brush your teeth, and more—without worrying about whether the water is safe.
Did you know:
- 2.2 billion people around the world lack access to safe drinking water. That’s one-third of the world’s population suffering from thirst, illness, and the cycle of poverty.
- In Africa, women collectively spend 200 million hours per day walking for water.
- Children collectively miss 443 million school days every year because of the global water crisis.
- One person dies every 37 seconds from waterrelated illnesses.
- 4.2 billion people lack access to adequate sanitation.
- Every day, millions of women and children worldwide walk more than three miles to collect water for their families. The only available water is often contaminated, exposing their families to dangerous waterborne diseases.
Those are some staggering statistics!
Walk for Water - Water Missions
In 2006, Walk for Water was created to simulate the trek women and children make every day to collect water.
- Water Mission is a Christian engineering nonprofit that builds safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing countries and disaster areas.
- They've provided safe water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) solutions in 57 countries and have over 400 staff members working around the world in permanent country programs.
- They work closely with permanent country programs to design safe water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) solutions for communities located in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean.
Shrimp and Grits Kid's Clothing Walking for a Cause
This year, Shrimp and Grits Kid's is participating in this amazing cause and would love for you to join us. Here are a few way for you to do that:
- On March 7, a portion of the sales from our next pop up “Ocean” will go towards this cause. We'd love for you to shop online or in our Mt. Pleasant store - located at 1220 Ben Sawyer Blvd B1, Mt Pleasant, SC 29464
- The Walk for Water will take place on March 25, 2023 at Riverfront Park in N. Charleston. Be sure to sign up and participate in the event.
- We appreciate you and any contribution you'd like to make. You can donate on our team page.
Want to find out more about the event on March 25, 2023? Head over to Walk for Water and learn more about their mission and the family friendly event or open up our team's QR code below!
Please join us in walking for water, so they don't have to.